I went to the store tonight and I was trying to think of a topic for a blog post tonight and while I was standing there I thought about little extra steps you can take to help lose weight.
Things to look for while shopping.
There are so many small things we can do with food to make better choices.
- If you are a pop drinker one of the biggest things you can do is give up pop and go to water. Diet pop really isn’t any better, it contains chemicals that your body cannot break down and use and they stock pile up causing health problems.
- Read your food labels and work on avoiding things like high fructose corn syrup. It’s in many foods found on super market shelves. Look for alternatives of the same types of food. Be wary even a lot of breads have high fructose corn syrup.
- Stay away from “white” foods. Foods like “White Bread”, white rice, potatoes, etc while you are trying to lose weight. Brown rice is better for you than white rice, whole wheat bread is better than white bread, etc.
- Buy more fresh food, flour, etc. Make your foods yourself. It will be healthier for you and you know exactly what is in it! Hate to cook? Make enough one time to last you a few days.
- Avoid farm raised fish, wild caught are better for you.
Little ways to add steps to your day
There are many different ways to add some extra walking distance in your day doing things you already do.
- Park further away from the building. Even 5 parking spots will gain you several yards of walking.
- When you go to the store use the cash register farthest from the door you walked in. In a large store like Walmart or Meijer this can add quite a bit of extra distance.
- Do you have multiple copy machines in your office? Make your photo copies on one further away from where you normally print.
Meal replacements can provide you quite a bit of nutrients in addition to being high in proteins and low on carbs. Be sure to look for high quality products. I personally use Herbalife products because they are fantastic, I know exactly where they were made, and they have many of the best nutritional scientist and doctors in the world on their staff and advisory boards. Not to mention the products are for sale in 85 countries and there are millions of testimonials to the products.
There are others like ensure and slim fast. Each one has it’s advantages and disadvantages that I won’t go over here because I am biased towards using Herbalife versus these other products.
Things to do while eating
- When you go out to eat you can order A la carte. That is order only the main meal item and none of the sides.
- Always start eating a protein first. Even if you have bread with your dinner your stomach feels full faster with protein and you will naturally eat less.
- Eat protein for breakfast rather then carbs or a sugary cereal. It is clinically proven you feel full longer eating protein than carbs.
- Use smaller plates. Our dinner plates and even bowls are the size of the old fashion serving dishes.
- Don’t drink a lot when you eat. It will allow you to eat more.
- It’s okay to leave food on your plate. This one is hard for me because of how I was raised. It’s okay to leave left overs and either throw them away or eat them as a different meal. Make sure to put the date on the label so you know if it is still good or not!
- Leave the credit card at home so you don’t go to a fast food restraunt.
- Love this iced coffees? Make it a small. The amount of calories in those things is crazy.
- Watch salad dressings, some of them are so high in calories and sugar they pretty much negate the benefits of eating the salad to begin with.
I hope this has been helpful. If you have any input I would love to hear it.